Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Flowers in Winter

I was inspired by one of Donna Downey's Inspiration Wednesdays where she took scrapbook flowers, glued them in her art journal, and painted over them.  I liked the idea so much that I made 3 canvases using the same idea. This is a great way to use your scrapbook supplies in a new way.

Purple Flower Canvas

Detail



















I glued 9 various sized flowers to an 8x8 canvas, and covered the whole thing with gesso. Since I can't seem to complete any project without using molding paste, I added it to the sides and background of the canvas. After it was dry, (it was so hard to wait!) I added turquoise and magenta paint and it started looking purple. So I let everything dry and added glazing medium to the subsequent paint layers to create depth of color.  I ended by splattering some bright pink all over it.  After everything dried completely, I painted embossing ink randomly on the canvas and sprinkled ultra-thick embossing powder all over, then heated to reveal random shiny areas that look kinda like dew or raindrops. The pictures don't do it justice!  It looks so cool!!

Pink Flower Canvas
Detail

Turquoise Flowers
  
Detail
Detail

The turquoise is my favorite canvas.  The colors in the detail photos are more true to the real canvas. I couldn't seem to get a good photo of the whole canvas and wasn't willing to go out in the freezing rain for natural light!  I added gold metallic paint to the petals and that really brought out the flowers' details.    

I am entering these canvases in the Scrap Around the World blog challenge for February. Here is the link to their website:  http://scraparoundtheworld.blogspot.com/2014/02/january-2014-wall-of-fame-our-first.html


February Mood Board 
I LOVE the bright, springy colors in their mood board this month and that is what inspired me to enter my canvases.  Thanks for visiting and please let me know what you think in comments below.

4 comments:

  1. Oh flowers... I love flowers!!! And in Poland it is winter now, so the more flowers, the better :) Thank you for playing with us at Scrap Around The World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic creations. A great idea for canvas . I love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous trio, I'm longing for flowers too! Thank you for playing along at Scrap Around the World.

    ReplyDelete